The Speech and Language Therapy Team
Manor School’s Speech and Language Therapy (SaLT) team has four Therapists, Ellie, Lauren, Olivia and Sarah, as well as a Therapy Assistant, Sangita, and a part-time Administrator, Katrina. Our team aim is to “provide evidence-based services that anticipate and respond to the needs of individuals who experience […] communication or swallowing difficulties.” (The Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists, 2006)
We assess the children’s strengths and needs in relation to their speech, language and communication skills. All children are assessed by a therapist on entry to Manor School. All children are re-assessed in Year 2 to support their transition to Key Stage 2, and again in Year 5, to support them with their transition to secondary school.
Following each assessment, all children receive a report, which includes recommended target areas for the PIP (Personal Intervention Plan).
We also work with the Senior Leadership Team to continually monitor the children’s progress throughout their time here.
We provide a range of interventions to support everyone to embed the children’s goals into their everyday lives.
All children get Whole School Support and Indirect Class-led Intervention
The SaLT team provides:
– PECS support at lunchtime.
– Makaton sign support in assemblies.
– Visual symbols in common areas.
– Jointly set communication goals with teachers at least once a year.
– Model activities, strategies and resources to class teams.
– Support class teams to run daily groups which focus on the children’s SaLT goals.
Direct Intervention as necessary
If this will make a unique impact, the SaLT team:
– Jointly sets communication goals with teachers throughout the year.
– Provides 1:1 or paired sessions led by the SaLT team, with a member of the class team present, in blocks of 1.5 terms.
– Liaises with classroom staff throughout the block to ensure progress is carried over to the classroom.
– Provide a short report at the end of each block, including a progress summary and updated recommended goals.
We believe that real progress in each child’s communication skills comes from truly working as a team around the child.
The SaLT team is therefore committed to training other people who are in regular contact with the children.
The SaLT team provide:
– Speech and Language Therapy in-service training sessions for all class staff.
– Specific training courses for selected class staff, e.g. PECS, Elklan, Makaton.
– Access to Speech and Language Therapy advice and training for parents/carers at Parents’ Forum and short courses.
– Training for any non-teaching support staff on request.
PECS Picture Exchange Communication System
Gina Davies: ‘Attention Autism’